Printer & Publisher History:
This list contains information about the printers and publishers
of the postcards in the Brightbill collection. The entries are most
likely drawn from the 1900 and 1908 Philadelphia city directories,
and give insight into when the publishers were active, and where they
fit into the business life of the city.
- 1900 Acme Printing House (Aug Dischler) 600 N. 3rd
American Pearl Manufacturing Company
- 1900 (Morris Rosin) novelty, 214 New
- 1908 (Rosin & Co.), novelties, 125 S. 2nd
Avil Publishing Company
- 1900 Avil Printing Company, 3943 Market, John D. Avil, pres.
- 1908 Avil Publishing Co. Inc., 4430 Market, J.D. Avil pres., J.
Howard Avil sec./treas.
- 1900 Beck Engraving Company, 147 N. 10th, C.W. Beck, Mgr
- 1908 Same
- 1908 pubs, 1010 Cherry, Edward T. Biddle, pres. & treas.
- 1900 Bunnell, Orlando S., novelty, 27 S. 6th, h. 2006 N.16th
- 1908 Same
Burlock, William L. Jr.
- 1900 Burlock, William L., bookbinder, 33 S. 6th, h 4547 N. 17th
- 190 Wm., binder, h. 853 N. Uber Wm., postcards, h. 4621 Germantown
Central News Company
- 1900 614 S. Washington Sq, Edward H. Johnson, mgr.
Chilton Printing Compan
- 1900 (John McFarland and Frank L. Deputy), 17 N. 13th
- 1908 S. 49th c Market, Jas Artman pres.
- 1900 Chestnut c 9th, L.U. Maltby prop., Henry E. Maltby, mgr.
- 1900 (Angelo and Joseph), news, S. Penn Sq c 15th
Douglass Post-Card (& Machine)
- 1900 Douglass C.C. Printing House (Mrs C.C. Douglas and Abraham
Moore), 535 Arch
- 1900 Dreer, Henry A., Inc. seedsmen, 714 Chestnut, Wm. F. Dreer
Elliott, North Phila.
- 1900 Elliott, Charles H. Co. (Charles H. Elliott), engravers and
printers, SW c Broad and Race
French, Samuel H.
- 1900 (Howard B. French and Howard longstreth), paints, 4th c.
- 1900 (Simon and Albert), childrens furnishings, 34 N. 4th
Historical Art Company
- 1900 Historical Publishing Co., 3941 Market and 707 Witherspoon
Bldg, Alexander Balfour pres.
Jordan, J. Murray
- 1900 publisher, 1438 S. Penn Sq and physician, 4564 Wayne Ave,
Leeds & Biddle Company
- 1900 printers, 1019 Market, Austin C. Leeds pres., Edward J. Biddle
sec. & treas.
- 1900 MacTaggart, Thomas, printer, 1413 Filbert, h. 1929 Brandywine
Pennsylvania Museum and School of
Photo-Type Post Card Co.
- 1900 Phototype Engraving co., 3943 Market
Rau, William H.
- 1900 photographer, 1324 Chestnut, h. 2207 N. 13th
Riter Brothers and Company
- 1900 (Charles J. and Michael M. Riter Jr.), tinplate, 1022 Race
Springfield Water Supply Company
- 1900 Springfield Water co., 204 Fidelity Bldg,
Staton Brothers, Publishers, Germantown
- 1900 (Walter B. and Robert W.), 5402
Stern & Company, Edward
- 1900 printers, 114 N. 12th, Edward Stern pres.
Tisdall, Joseph H.
- 1900 stationer, 904 Arch and 1036 Market, h 62 N. 36th
- 1900 engraver & diesinker, 1018 Chestnut, h 934 N.Warnock
[return to top]